Sunday, November 19

The Sponge People

acknowledgement : to my baby, who coined this, and first observed this..u shud be a psycologist...just kidding

So the sponge people, im sure you have come across one in your life somewhere or the other. The person typically classified as an attention seeking person. (now im an attention seeking person but theres a difference) The difference is that while they only seek and seek and seek and ths get and get and recieve attention they never give back.....i give back in equal measure. when these sponge people are depressed you talk about them and them and their problems and make them feel better, and when you are depressed you still talk about them and them and their problems and make them feel better. Litrally soke up all the attention and sympathy you have and give nothing in return. So sponge people..if ur a sponge person...be different....atleast dont be a dy sponge if ur squeesed do give back...best is dont be a sponge at all....

P.s. this entire entry is in italics because its not my idea...its my baby's. im just the hermes over here. but its a very valid point. and baby when you used it "sponge people" u sounded sooooo cute!!! muah!!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Danny- I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment here. I replied to your question over at my blog because you didn't leave an email address, but I wasn't sure if you would see the answer.

I have to admit, I have never read Milton's Paradise Lost, so I don't know if I would be any help to you. There appears to be some scholarship on your question however. You should check out this website and the book by Alastair Thomson listed in the reference section at the end of it. Thomson suggests that Tennyson was being ironic by echoing Milton's Satan and this undercuts what is happening at the end of the poem. I don't think I could provide more insight than that. I hope that helps.

As an aside, whether this is an ironic statement (as suggested by Thomson) or not, I find it a fine piece of rhetoric that has been a source of inspiration for me over the years.